KPLC Prepaid Meters: How to buy power units using M-PESA or ZAP.
You can now purchase power units for your KPLC prepaid meter using your phone! Here is how to buy Kenya Power & Lighting Company (K.P.L.C) power units on your mobile phone:
Go to M-PESA menu and select “Pay Bill”
Enter the KPLC prepaid business number 88 88 80 and press OK
Enter the 11 digit pre-pay meter number of your power meter that you wish to top up and press OK
Enter the amount of money you wish to spend to purchase the power units (between Ksh. 250 and Ksh. 35,000) and press OK.
Enter your M-PESA PIN and press OK. Confirm that all details are correct and press OK.
You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-PESA immediately indicating that indeed money has been transfered from your M-PESA account to purchase power units. Moments later you will receive another SMS with the 20 digit number which you are supposed to feed on your prepaid meter. (read how to load your meter at the end of this post)
Go to Zap Menu
Choose Money option
Choose the Nickname option and enter MYPOWER
Enter amount of money you wish to spend to buy power units
Enter your Zap password
Under Reference option, enter the full KPLC prepaid 11 digit meter number
You will then receive a confirmation SMS showing the amount spent in purchase of power units.
Moments later, you will receive a message from KPLC with the 20 digit code which you should key in on your meter. (read below)
LOADING THE 20 DIGIT CODE ON YOUR METER:
On your meter, key in the 20 digit received by SMS from KPLC and press Enter key.
Look out for the following messages on your Meter:
“ACCEPT”: Meaning that the top up was successful and your units will be increased by the number of units you bought.
“USED” : Meaning that the 20 digit number has already been used.
“OLD”: Meaning that the 20 digit code is expired.
“EE EEE 13″: Meaning that you entered the 12 digit code wrongly
“REJECT”: Meaning that there is something wrong with the 20 digit code.
- The message from KPLC at times takes up to 36 hours to be delivered! You therefore need to top up when you still have a few units left to avoid disappointment.
- You may call KPLC Emergency assistance on 020 3 201 000 / 0711 031 000 / 0732 111 000
- You may also buy power units from the following vendors:
- KPLC Stima Plaza 8:00 am – 4:30 pm - Stima Plaza
- KPLC Electricity House 8:00 am – 4:30 pm - Electricity House
- Uchumi Capital Center 8:00 am – 8:00 pm - Mombasa Road
- Uchumi Ngong Hyper 8:00 am – 8:00 pm- Ngong Road
- Uchumi: 8:00 am – 8:00 pm - Langata Road
- Sarit Center KPLC office - 8:00 am – 4:30 pm – Sarit Center
- Thika KPLC Office - 8:00 am – 4:30 pm - Thika
<<UPDATE>> Kenya Power seems to be responding quite fast to querries posted on their facebook page. Click Here to follow the Kenya Power facebook page.