How to pay school fees via M-PESA.
Lipa Karo na M-PESA is a Pay Bill service for school fees collection. The pay bill accounts are operated by Co-operative Bank, Kenya Commercial Bank, and CFC Stanbic on behalf of participating schools.
Pay Bill numbers
Pay Bill number operated by Co-operative Bank is 400222
Pay Bill number operated by KCB is 522123
Pay Bill number operated by CFC Stanbic is 2020123
Steps to follow while making school fees payments
On the mobile phone, go to the M-PESA Menu and select Pay Bill. In the Business Number field enter number associated with the bank serving the school one is remitting fees to. In the account number, enter school code, then #, and finally the student’s school admission number. Enter required amount and input M-PESA pin. Confirm the transaction and money will be remitted in the school’s account with the bank.
What notification will I get to ensure fees have been remitted?
Customers will get two notifications:
- M-PESA will send the standard Pay Bill confirmation SMS immediately after carrying out the transaction. This notification will confirm that funds have been transferred to the bank
- The bank will then send an SMS to the customer, notifying such a customer that funds have been applied to the school’s bank account
- Parents whose Schools have PesaPal school Management software can view their payments via web free of charge (www.pesapal.com)
Are all schools on board?
You need to contact your school to ascertain whether they have been registered by either of the participating banks to use the service. If the school is participating, ensure you make note of their code.
How do I know whether my school is participating?
Contact the school administration to know whether the school is participating and what detail you will be required to enter in your transaction
You can get in touch with your school or the nearest Kenya Commercial Bank, Co-operative Bank and CFC Stanbic bank branches, you may also check for school code through M-PESA business directory *234# and enter school name as ‘keyword’ or log on towww.safaricom.co.ke
What numbers can I call for assistance?
- M-PESA Customer Service help line – 234
- KCB Contact Centre – 20 3287000| 0732187000 | 0711087000
- Co-operative Bank of Kenya Contact Center – (020)2776000/0729277600/0736690101
- CFC Stanbic Contact Center – (020) 3268888/ 0711168888
- Contact your local KCB and/or Co-op Bank branch
- Contact your school
What are the costs for the transaction?